Vegan Kitchen Tools
What's the BEST Fondue Pot?
-review by Betty Morgan
Fall is the perfect time to pull out that FONDUE POT that's been hidden in the attic or on the back shelf. Create some dipping sauces that are vegan and invite some friends over for an interesting fondue food feast! A fondue party is so much fun and everyone gets involved with the preparation and cooking.
Fondue Pot Sets
make perfect gifts for the holidays or newlyweds. Every kitchen should have at least one and I recommend two or three for parties! These are my favorite FONDUEs and you won't be disappointed by any of them. For parties, I like to have four savory fondue sauces and one or two sweet dessert sauces. So keep an eye out for sales, flea market bargains, or ask friends and see how many you can find. Maybe this will be your new "collectible".
Swissmar Fondue Set
The very traditional Swissmar Fondue Set includes a red enameled cast iron pot with the Swiss cross motif, black stand, six cheese fondue forks and a stainless 3-ounce fire-gel burner. Ideal for cooking at low temperatures, this cast iron pot keeps the temperature evenly distributed. The pot's wide opening also allows dining dippers to not feel cramped when dipping into the luscious hot fondue sauces. I like it because I can clearly see the sauce and what is happening with my food on the end of the fork.
This pot may also be used on the stove top when creating the fondue sauces.
To prevent scratching the enameled surface of the Swissmar Fondue Pot, it is best to use wooden or non-stick utensils.
Swissmar Fondue Pot Features
Ideal for use on any cook-top, including induction.
For best results, use low to medium heat on cook-top.
Oven and broiler safe.
Use wood, plastic or heat-resistant nylon tools to avoid scratching the enamel surface.
Do not slide pan on stovetop.
Enamel can chip or crack if dropped or banged on hard surfaces.
Enamel Pot Care
Allow pot to cool before washing.
Avoid using steel wool, steel scouring pads, harsh detergents or abrasive cleansers.
Stubborn food residue and stains can be removed with a nylon scrubbing pad or sponge.
Swissmar Fondue Pot Capacity: 2.2 liters/2.4 quarts
Set measures 15 by 10-3/4 by 9 inches; weighs 12 pounds
BUY the Swissmar KF-66517 Lugano 2-Quart Cast Iron Cheese Fondue Set, 9-Piece, Cherry Red
Swissmar Fire Gel
Every traditional fondue pot needs a heat source. For those that require "jell" type heat sources may want to choose the Swissmar Fire Gel. I highly recommended Swissmar because of its cost, refilling ease, long lasting flame, and odorless fumes.
Fill the fondue burner container about 1/4 full of the Swissmar Fire Gel for the best results. It's important not to overfill the stainless steel cup holder. You can always add more after snuffing out the flame with the burner lid. Always put the flame out and let the holder cup cool BEFORE adding more gel.
Swissmar Fire Gel is long lasting and does not smell like an alcohol or chemical fire. The flame is clean and does not smoke up the room.
• Swiss Fire Gel : 16 ounces.
• Great for fondue pots with jell burners
• Made in Switzerland
BUY Swissmar Fire Gel 16-Ounce Fondue Fuel
The Cuisinart Electric Fondue Set
The Cuisinart Electric Fondue Set is suitable for chocolate, vegan cheese, broth or oil fondue recipes. The set includes a decorative base, a stainless exterior bowl, temperature probe, 8 fondue forks, and a fork rack that fits the inner rim of the fondue pot to provide a placeholder for each fork.
Cuisinart has crafted a dramatic and elegant, brushed stainless-steel 3-quart bowl with an easy-to-clean nonstick interior.
A removable temperature control is adjustable for wide range of recipes and helps to define the temperature desired for your perfect sauce.
The fondue pot is safe for immersion and dishwasher, but I recommend hand washing only.
stands 6-1/4 inches high and the bowl is 8-1/4 inches in diameter.
Product Dimensions: 14.1 x 9.6 x 7 inches
HINT: Preheat all fondue sauces in another pan before you put it into the fondue pot, and use the fondue pot to just maintain the temperature of the fondue sauce.
For me, the consistent temperature of an electric pot provides a better heating source for oil or broth type fondues. It's also nice not to have to deal with the jell burner. The drawback is having to deal with an electrical cord.
BUY the Cuisinart CFO-3SS Electric Fondue Set
Le Creuset Fondue Set
The timeless modern design of the Le Creuset Fondue Set is perfect for fondue collections. The porcelain covered cast iron pot fits majestically atop a sturdy cast ion base that fits the groove of the fondue pot perfectly. I like the depth of this pot for creamy fondue sauces.
• Molded of cast iron with an expertly enameled glossy porcelain coating
• Highest quality porcelain enamel coating is impermeable to odors and stains
• Foods will not react with the enameled finish
• Easy-clean enamel surfaces are scratch-resistant
• Superior conduction of heat promotes faster cooking times
• Even distribution and retention of heat ensures cookware stays hot longer
• Pot is suited for stove-tops including electric, gas, ceramic, induction and halogen
• Stainless-steel burner easily adjusts the flame
• Coated cast iron stand is built for stability and safety
• Pot is oven-safe to 400 F
• Dishwasher-safe, but hand-washing is recommended
• Instruction booklet with more than a dozen fondue recipes included
The Le Creuset Fondue Set includes:
6 color-coded wooden handled stainless-steel forks
enameled cast iron pot
1 cast iron stand and stainless steel burner
Made in France
8 3/4"W x 7 1/2"D x 8"H with handles and base
Base alone: 8 1/2"L x 7 1/2"W
Use and Care Instructions
• When using the fondue pot, always place a large heatproof mat under the stand to protect your table.
• Check the level of fuel in the burner before each use.
• Never fill the burner while it's still hot.
• Use a potholder or oven glove to transfer the hot pot from kitchen to table.
• Never over-fill the pot with oil. The maximum level should be one-third full.
• Never eat food straight from the very hot fondue fork.
• Use only wooden, plastic or heat-resistant nylon tools, to avoid scratching the enamel.
• To maintain the beauty of fondue pot's finish, hand-washing is recommended in warm sudsy water with a nylon brush or pad.
• Remove stubborn food residues with a plastic or sponge scourer only - do not use metal scourers or abrasive cleaners of any kind.
BUY the Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 1-3/4-Quart Traditional Fondue Pot, Cherry
Dipping Desire Chocolate Fondue Set
Dip into easy dessert fun with the Dipping Desire Chocolate Fondue Set. This mini-fondue is perfect for a four person dessert fondue of rich luscious chocolate and assorted dipping items: fruit, pound cake, pretzels, cookies, etc. Great to take on a mini-weekend get away served with a sparkling beverage!
The Dipping Desire Chocolate Fondue Set Includes:
1 Ceramic Fondue Pot with candle warmer (non-electric)
4 Dipping Forks
1 wrought iron red base
1 tea candle
The rim of the bowl has "fondue au chocolat" scripted in handwriting around the rim of the bowl.
The set measures
4 inches high on base and the bowl is 4.75 inches in diameter.
Use only tea candles with this type of fondue pot.
BUY the Dipping Desire Chocolate Fondue Pot